Tuesday, September 15, 2009

An encounter with a ViRuS...

.....She was sitting beside me..we shared smile and a few words to while away some time.. A lady who had consumed may be 50 to 55 years of life...it didn't take long for me to notice the cyst(a cancereous one) on her neck...felt pity for the bearer..and hoped she recuperates quickly and safely from it..

      A year down the lane,she had been detected with Cox(tuberculosis) and though she has shed most of the disease,the treatment still continues...hey what's that??A bit of paper jumped out of her medical(test reports',prescriptions',X-rays',etc...) file..picking it up i could not move my eyes off it...

It was ELISA declaring her HIV+.....

Suddenly the room darkened,i couldn't feel or visualise anything except for the words HIV+....
My throat was suddenly arid like a desert,a cactus like lump in there,i couldn't gulp my own saliva....a drop of sweat breaking down my temple...i'm stoned...
Suddenly i realised she was stinking...all of a sudden the air surrounding me was polluted...i couldn't breathe...i was choked..

Just couldn't realize what was wrong with me...i was always from the educated lot,knew that HIV didn't spread through contact,air,sitting beside each other on same bench,sharing same glass of water or food,mosquito bites...and many more....

Still unable to find out was i scared of it???was it the hatred for it???was it an inhibition???what was it??
i have taken part in many rallies,debates,educational programmes,etc on HIV/AIDS awareness(but never encountered a carrier)...i know the causes and reasons for the spread of the disease....

Then after regaining some of my lost senses,i was inquisitive about how she got infected....?????
Reason number 1- it couldn't be from mother to child..
Reason number 2- it  could or couldn't be through blood transfusion...because i trusted the blood banks...
Reason number 3- unprotected sex....i excluded it to preserve her sanity..
so i zeroed in on infected needle injection....
What ever the reason may be,point is her body was nurturing the virus....
Now i realise the constant recurrence of various other diseases in her....

Is she still in her initial stage??is she totally possessed by the virus???is she a patient of AIDS??is she dying???.....All such questions kept hovering me...

I left my lunch plate half filled,just couldn't swallow the morsel.....and believe it or not i puked the other half i had after a while...
I was bitten by a bug called HIV....

Was very restless until i wrote this blog....now feeling much better as i passed on the bug to you all  ;-) :-D.....hehehhehe...well jokes apart..!!! I don't how many of you all would empathize with me,but i feel its much a thought provoking thought....do let me know what you felt on this....

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine what it would be like being in your shoes, discovering what you did. The knowledge that the person sitting next to you is infected with HIV, and the fear and disbelief that follows...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even i never imagined what i actully did,u see!!it was alwaz like,HIV so what??jus another disease...but....:-|

    ReplyDelete

shopping anyone??